Top 10 Things to Do in San Diego
San Diego is known for incredible year round weather, beautiful beaches and laid-back blissful locals. With so many fun things to do, it’s hard not to be happy if you’re lucky enough to visit America’s Finest City. From surfing and kayaking to shopping and dining, there is always something fun to in San Diego no matter what time of year. Visitors can take exciting tours of San Diego or head to a hot San Diego hotel summer pool party to mix and mingle with the “in” crowd. Whether you like rest and relaxation or want to party it up with the who’s who of San Diego, this list of Top 10 Things to Do in San Diego has something for everyone!
Top 10 Things to Do in San Diego
- Hit The Beach: With 70 miles of pristine coastline, it’s not a real trip to San Diego without a day spent at the beach. Among things to do in San Diego, this may be the most famous. Surf an advanced local hotspot like Black’s Beach or try your skills at a beginner break like Tourmaline Surf Park in Pacific Beach. If surfing’s not your cup of tea, head to big white sand beaches like Mission Beach or Moonlight for a day soaking up the sun or playing sand volleyball.
- Check Out Local Micro-Breweries: If you’re like me (and most San Diego natives) you like a good micro-brew. San Diego is home to some of the best micro-breweries in the world including Stone, Green Flash and Ballast Point Brewing Companies so don’t miss a chance to get it from the source at these popular San Diego micro-breweries. Get the most bang for your buck with a San Diego tour of popular breweries.
- Rent a Kayak: La Jolla, CA along the coast of San Diego is home to amazing snorkeling and kayaking. The La Jolla Underwater Park is a protected area with an abundance of sea life and beauty. Book a kayak tour of La Jolla and check out the Seven Sea Caves and beautiful coastline of this area.
- Go To The Zoo: It’s not called the World Famous San Diego Zoofor nothing! This San Diego attraction is an absolute must see for a great vacation. The San Diego Zoo has every kind of animal from elephants to polar bears. It also has a great Wildlife Conservancy and is one of the only places in the world with a successful Panda mating program!
- Browse Balboa Park: Before heading to the Zoo, check out Balboa Park just next door. Filled with mind-blowing museums, gorgeous architecture, botanical gardens and a beautiful Koi pond, Balboa Park is unlike any other park in the world. Spend the day checking out museums like the San Diego Museum of Man or simply take a picnic and stroll along the park.
- Go Out in the Gaslamp Quarter: In the heart of downtown San Diego is the vibrant Gaslamp Quarter. What started out as a seedy part of town has been completely revamped and become the “place to be” for San Diego nightlife. 16 blocks of restaurants, hotels, bars and shops make up the Gaslamp Quarter and every night you’ll find San Diego locals and visitors decked out for a fun night out in this thriving part of town.
- Get a Drink at Altitude Lounge: Within the Gaslamp Quarter is Altitude Lounge. Located on the 22nd floor of the San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, Altitude boasts incredible views of San Diego and a bird’s eye view of the San Diego baseball stadium, Petco Park. This is a great place to grab an early cocktail and watch a Padre’s baseball game or head here on a weekend night when the posh lounge transforms into a bumping night club above the lights of San Diego.
- Catch A Game at Petco Park: Home to the San Diego Padres, Petco Park is a quaint downtown baseball stadium with small town charm in a big city. Buy your tickets and wear your best blue and white attire to cheer on the Padres. Don’t forget to take a picture with Padres mascot, Friar Fred while you’re there!
- Visit Coronado: Home to the infamous Hotel Del Coronado and the stunning Silver Strand beach, Coronado is a sparkling gem among San Diego communities. Take a drive over the Coronado Bridge to this lovely part of town and take a stroll down the long stretch of white sand beach.
- Go to a Summer Hotel Pool Party: During the summer months many San Diego hotels host over-the-top pool parties with world-class DJs, scantily clad guests and flowing alcohol. For the 20-something crowd, there is no better place to be than Intervention at the Hard Rock Hotel San Diego pool on Sundays during the summer. This trendy hotel pool is packed with hot locals and visitors dancing to heart pumping music and letting loose for this weekly summer event.
This article was written by Carli Leavitt, the editor of SanDiego.com. Carli is a San Diego native with a wealth of knowledge about local attractions, hotels, beaches and nightlife venues in southern California.