Weird seems to sprout everywhere and weird Philippines is no exception. In my continuing series of ‘weird‘, I bring you weird Philippines. I saw many cases of the weird and unusal and just plain funny here. Here is a small collection of my observations
- Crime. Former governer and mayor in region of Palawan (where I spent 2 weeks) are wanted for murder. See photo below.
- Advertising. Check out the photo of a recent ad for water and tell me what you think it’s really selling.
- McDonald’s. The 1st one on the island of Boracay opened in Nov 2012. See photo on why this is weird.
- Beach Wear. White skin is a status symbol in most places in Asia and to keep those milky white limbs in a beachy area such as Boracay extreme measures are needed.
- The language. Weird Philippines speak Tagalog which is a combo of indigenous language and some spanish thrown in for good measure. Everyone on this country speaks and understands most English but whst I find weird is how English is thrown into Tagalog in the flow of conversation. Watch any TV show and 80% of the program will be in local language and all of a sudden 2 sentences of English are thrown in w/o missing a beat.
- Transportation. Getting rom point A to B has never been so much fun from the local tricycles to the jeepneys (like a Filipino chicken bus).